Valentine's Day Reflection

0 Comments »
I was talking to a friend about Valentine's Day yesterday. She told me, and I quote, "Valentine's Day is STUPID!" At first, what she wrote seemed like something rather immature, you know, it's like an answer that a middle-schooler would give. It's almost a non-answer because there's almost no good reasoning behind it. This made me question her as to why she thought Valentine's Day was stupid. My conversation with her brought me to two conclusions.

I.
Valentine's Day's true meaning has nothing to do with mushy love or whatever the world has brought it to be. Being a Catholic, she told me how there are, like, I think six St. Valentines, and none of them has anything to do with love. She also argued that corporations use whatever saint they want to make money. For example, using Valentine's Day to increase sales of chocolate and St. Patrick's Day to increase sales of beer. I liked her argument. It made sense to me, but in my mind it begs to question: have I been skewing things that God has shown to me? A first thing I thought of was Christmas. It's suppose to be the day of Christmas. Often times I become the sinner that puts worldly presents that I'll get on Christmas Day before the Godly gift of Christ. I also thought of going to church. Every Sunday it's suppose to be an obligation to go worship our glorious Creator. It's cliche to say, but church can definitely become a social club instead of the house of God.

What are some things that God has shown to you through His grace?

Are you taking some of them in the wrong way?

II.
When I first started talking to my friend I made a bad assumption. I asked her, "think of it this way. You're saying Valentine's Day is stupid now, but what if in a year you're going out with someone and you're really looking forward to spend that special day with him? Would you still think it's stupid then?" Something very humbling came from this question.

I was figuratively slapped in the face because she, in fact, does have a boyfriend as of yesterday. Fortunately she was really cool about it. Which made me feel even worse. Assumptions are not about looking at a person as who they are. We are blessed to have God see us and know us as individuals. Who are we to look at His other creations and have terrible thoughts? I'm ashamed of myself.

0 Responses to "Valentine's Day Reflection"

Post a Comment